Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If there is any leftovers they go great on baked potatoes for lunch the next day, with a little grated cheese and LF.
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) cans white corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans white beans or 2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 2⁄3 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2⁄3 cup shredded fat-free monterey jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 1/2 cups of water with the lemon pepper and cumin seed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breast halves and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fork tender and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into tiny pieces.
- Defat the broth, return to the saucepan, and place the chicken back in the stock.
- Spray a medium skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray, add the garlic, and cook and stir over low heat 1 minute (careful not to burn garlic.) Add to the chicken, then sauté the onion in the same skillet, cooking until tender.
- Add the cooked onion, corn, chiles, ground cumin and lime juice to the chicken mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add beans and simmer until thoroughly heated, about 45 minutes.
- To serve, place about 1 tbsp.
- each of tortilla chips and cheese in eight individual soup bowls, ladle hot chili over, and serve with salsa.
Very delicious, I did end up adding 12 more oz of chicken broth that I substituted for the water and then thickened it up with a mixture of 3 tbsp. melted butter and 4 tbsp. of flour. Thanks for posting!
My family loved this from my husband down to my two year old. I went to two stores and could not find whole cumin seed so I had to settle for the ground cumin I already have. I used chicken broth instead of the plain water. I made this with cornbread on a rainy day. Excellent loved the non overpowering flavor. Had a healthy feel as well. Thanks.