Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My wife found this recipe online somewhere. We altered it a bit to fit what we had on hand. and to adjust to what we knew would make a better tasting product. For the chili powder I use the homemade Alton Brown's Chili Powder. Taste so much better than store bought.
- 3 cups dried great northern beans
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup canned artichoke heart (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Soak beans in water over night.
- In a large stock pot, add the chicken, onion, celery, carrots, salt and water. Let it simmer for at least 4 hours. Add enough warm water to cover the chicken if evaporation exposes any meat.
- When you have a nice stock formed. Pull out the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Strain the chunks out of the stock and pour stock back in the pot.
- Add the beans to the stock and simmer for an hour.
- Pull the chicken meat off the bones and shred the meat. Set aside.
- After an hour, add the chicken and the remaining ingredients.
- Let simmer for at least another half hour to an hour.
- Serve with sour cream and the cheese of you choice.