Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
White Chicken Chili
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium jalapeno chiles
- 3 poblano chiles, cut into large pieces (medium)
- 3 anaheim chilies, cut into large pieces (medium)
- 2 medium onions, cut into large pieces (2 cups)
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts sliced thin
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add chicken, skin side down, and cook about 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken and lightly brown on other side, about 2 minutes.
- While chicken is browning, remove and discard ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos; mince flesh.
- In food processor, process poblano chiles, Anaheim chiles, and onions until chunky. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from Dutch oven and reduce heat to medium.
- Add minced jalapenos, chilie-onion mixture, garlic, cumin, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Transfer 1 cup cooked vegetable mixture to food processor workbowl.
- Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup broth and process until smooth.
- Add vegetable-bean mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, and chicken breasts to Dutch oven and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally 15 to 20 minutes (40 minutes if using thighs).
- Transfer chicken to large plate.
- Stir in remaining beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
- Mince remaining jalapeno, reserving and mincing ribs and seeds and set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir shredded chicken, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and remaining minced jalapeno into chili and return to simmer.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.