Recipe by Natalia 3
Try making this from dried beans. It's easy and rewarding! HOW TO SOAK BEANS: Soak washed beans in a pot with enough water to cover by at least 3 inches for at least 4 hours, preferrably overnight. If you forget to soak them the night before there is a QUICK-SOAK METHOD: Place washed beans in a pot with enough water to cover by 3 inches. Once they reach a boil cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat and let stand for 2 hours. *substitute sauteed green pepper for the canned chilis if you are watching your sodium. From Terry Blonder Golson's 1,000 Lowfat Recipes.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
I've never had chicken chili, but I've always wanted to try it. And this was a good recipe. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but it wasn't all that thick like a regular chili. But that didn't really matter much, because it was delicious all the same. I went light on the chilies and peppers as my kids can't tolerate much heat at all. But even so, it was perfect for a light dinner after the string of chilly, windy days we've been having. Made for 2009 Spring Pick-A-Chef.
- 1 lb dried white bean, pre-soaked (such as cannellini, about 2.5 cups when dry)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- pickled jalapeno pepper (can replace one can of chilies for spiciness) (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (I just threw a whole one in and took it out before serving)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- green onion, chopped
- cilantro (or other fresh herbs) or parsley (or other fresh herbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put pre-soaked beans into a pot along with the garlic, onions and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the beans are tender (about 1 - 1.5 hours). If needed, add water periodically to keep beans moist.
- Before beans are done, sautee the chopped green pepper in olive oil and set aside.
- Add to the beans: cumin, oregano, cloves, chicken, and green pepper. Cook for 30 minutes. Add salt. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with desired toppings.