Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great Fall/Winter meal. It can be adapted for a quick chili,or a crock pot chili too.Recipe ideas for those are included as well. IIts another great recipe from my MIL.
- 1 lb white beans
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces fat free sour cream
- Soak beans overnight,and drain the next day.
- In a large pot cook beans in chicken stock for 1 hour,then add everything except cheese and sour cream. Cook beans until tender THIS COULD BE UP TO 2 HOURS,please note the time it takes for the beans to cook through makes the chicken very tender. Once beans are tender add cheese and sour cream and stir.
- Serve with cornbread,or chips.
- Please note that you can use canned beans for a shortcut,just cook everything through before adding to chicken stock,and reduce cooking time. You can also dump everything but cheese and sour cream in a LARGE crock pot after beans have soaked overnight,and just follow crockpot manufacturers time range for cooking basic chili,and add sour cream and cheese at the very end.
This is a great beginning for white chicken chili. :) I have made it several times so far and I had the best results when I modified it a little to my family's taste. We prefer it without the cayenne pepper, with a little more cumin, a little less garlic and a dash of white pepper. Very good overall.