Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken meat
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, and saute the onion and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly.
- Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add lasagna noodles.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cover with 1/3 of the noodles, ricotta, and chicken.
- Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture, and sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
Never reviewed this but I just wanted to say that I make this one all the time. I just substitute 2 8oz packages of portebello mushrooms for the spinach. I slice and fry the mushrooms some to get the moisture out.
DH and I had this while watching the LOST series finale. Just like our favorite program, it did not disappoint! :) SO good! I subbed cottage cheese for the ricotta and it was great. The only thing not to like is the nutrition facts. Yikes. But still a great "splurge" dinner. Thanks!
I served this with homemade spaghetti and meatballs (#26947 and #32618) for my mother in law's birthday. It was very well received. I thought it was tasty and elegant and a very good "company" dish. I made it the day before and refrigerated it overnight, then baked for a little over an hour. Delicious!