Recipe by looneytunesfan
2nd place Taste Of Home Winner.
Top Review by Nana Lee
Like Laura70, I made this without the ham. I also used a very extra sharp cheddar, by Cabot, that I love. This is definitely a keeper. I made the entire recipe even though I live alone. I like to make my own TV dinners and this is great to include as a veggie. I ended up with 6 good-sized servings when I finished glutting myself on it fresh out of the oven! I think I might add a bit more onion next time and some bit of garlic( I LOVE garlic). Other than that, as is, your recipe "ROCKS"! Thanks!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the soup. Remove from the heat; stir in the sour cream until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and ham. In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 375* for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.