Recipe by Jennigator3
This is the ultimate comfort food! I loved when my Mom made this for us when I was a kid. It's definitely decadent, I make it mostly for family get-togethers and it's always a hit. The sharp cheese and the breadcrumb crust make this macaroni dish unique. Enjoy!
Top Review by Noo
I was a little concerned about the ratios in this recipe, after deciding to make it, as it didn't seem that there was enough flour to thicken the sauce, and that it would just be milk with melted cheese in it. I wasn't brave enough to follow through completely, so thickened it slightly with some cornflour and water.
A well flavoured mac cheese recipe...the sharp cheddar really makes it.
Made for SPRING PAC 2012.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 10 ounces bar cracker barrel vermont sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni noodles
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni pasta per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add butter and cook until melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add flour. Whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and add milk and stir to combine.
- Heat mixture until Milk is hot but not boiling.
- Chop white cheddar cheese into smaller squares (you can also grate cheese) and add to milk mixture.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Cook until all cheese is melted, about 2 more minutes.
- Add macaroni noodles to saucepan and stir to combine pasta with cheese sauce.
- Pour into a casserole dish or a ceramic, oven-safe crock.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of macaroni.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Let sit for 3-5 minutes after cooking to cool.