Recipe by iris5555
From Martha Stewart Living
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Simply wonderful! I loved the hint of heat from the cayene pepper. I added a bit more milk and broth as the soup thickened up. If my husband doesn't take the leftovers to work, I'll post a photo! Thanks a bunch for posting this fantastic recipe, Bobo!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 473.18 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 709.77 ml fresh corn kernels (from about 6 ears of corn)
- 6.16 ml coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 56.69 g sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add celery, and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin, and cayenne. Raise heat to medium-high, and add wine.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stock, and milk, and bring to a boil (skim any foam from surface).
- Reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add corn, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer 2 cups soup to a blender. Let cool slightly, then puree. Return puree to pan, and stir.
- Reheat if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour into bowls, and top with cheese.
- Chowder can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.