Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
From Emeril, this is a snappy soup with lots of flavor. I like to serve soups like this in the fall, in a big, fresh, hollowed-out pumpkin that's been heated in the oven.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 small leeks, white part only, split in half and diced small
- 3 celery ribs, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb white cheddar cheese, grated (plus 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crispy cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Add leeks, celery, and carrot and saute for about 3 minutes or until wilted. Stir in garlic and season with salt and pepper. Dust the vegetables with 1/4 cup of flour and stir for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer soupf for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until smooth. Strain soup into a clean saucepan. Bring soup back to a simmer. Whisk in cream, cheese, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with bacon, grated cheese, and long chives.