Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can double this complete recipe, my family likes extreme heat so I sauteed 3 teaspoons dryed chili flakes in with the onions, garlic and peppers, add any amount desired in if you like extra heat, I also added in about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan with the white cheddar.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small red bell pepper (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper (cut into small matchsticks)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- cayenne pepper (or use black pepper)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in bell peppers, onions and garlic; saute for about 5-6 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add in flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in broth, milk and whipping cream; stir until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in the white cheddar cheese and stir until melted and heated through.
- Season with cayenne pepper or black pepper and salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowl and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
I had high hopes for this soup. It all worked out well though; this soup is amazing! I used 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes, a little less than suggested, but that was still a bit much for us. Even so, this soup was really delicious. Thanks!