Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Southern Living May 2006 test kitchen's top rated recipes.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add squash, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat; drain well.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Gently stir together squash and cheese mixture in a large bowl.
- Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over top.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Note: To make ahead, prepare recipe as directed; do not top with breadcrumbs.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator; let stand 45 minutes.
- Uncover and top with breadcrumbs; bake as directed.