Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Food & Wine October 2006
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup very finely chopped scallion top
- 3 ounces white extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup cold milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease two 12-cup mini-muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
- Work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some small pieces of butter still visible.
- Add the scallion greens, cheese and milk and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dough comes together.
- Scoop the dough into the mini-muffin tins. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top.
- Transfer the muffin tins to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.