1 hr 20 mins
I received this recipe from a friend at work. It makes about one gallon of thick white catfish stew. Use at least a 5 quart pot. I like it spicy so I usually add a little cayenne pepper to the pot in addition to the hot sauce. You can add tomatoes to make a red catfish stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut catfish into thumbnail-size squares.
- 2Salt and pepper pieces pretty heavily and put into refrigerator until time to use.
- 3Peel the boiled eggs and chop into small pieces.
- 4Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes and cover with water until ready to use.
- 5Peel onions and slice into rings.
- 6Fry fatback crisp.
- 7Put pieces aside and pour drippings into a large pot.
- 8Bring fatback drippings to a medium heat, add onions and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove onions to a bowl.
- 9Put about 4 or 5 cups of water in the pot, bring to a boil, put the potatoes in the pot.
- 10You might have to add more fresh water to barely cover the potatoes.
- 11Cook about 15 or 20 minutes;I crumble up the fried fatback and put it in with the potatoes, but you don't have to.
- 12Put the onions back in the pot with the potatoes and bring to almost a boil, throw in a handful of fish, stir a little, throw in some more fish, stir a little more, do this until you use all the fish.
- 13I use a long skinny spoon so the fish won't get all mashed up; I like chunks of fish in the stew.
- 14Add the boiled eggs and stir.
- 15Cook on medium for about 6 minutes.
- 16Stir a couple of times to be sure the potatoes aren't sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- 18Add more salt, pepper, and hot sauce if needed.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Catfish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.7
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 159.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: