Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent white cake. Great for a one pan type or cupcakes too. This is a recipe I have had for almost 30 years and until I saw that someone was looking for a whitish cake, had forgotten it. Time to make it again. I have no idea where it came from, I think it is a variation of a recipe my girlfriend gave me back then. Also, if you substitute oil, the cooking time would be longe
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco (using the Crisco would make it much whiter in color.) or 3⁄4 cup butter (using the Crisco would make it much whiter in color.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour tube pan.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- Cream sugar with Crisco.
- Add vanilla and egg whites.
- Alternately blend in flour mixture, milk, flour mixture, milk until is well mixed.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Then use your favorite frosting.
This recipe was okay. I found the cooking times to be off, however I used a round wilton 8" x 3" deep pan, so I figured it would take longer. It was a little on the dry side...a little like pound cake, but not soo dense. I actually much prefer a box cake to this recipe. Maybe I made it wrong, but I bake often, so I was suprised with the poor result.
this cake was regretfully nasty when crisco was used. i really hate to say that but the crisco made it taste cheap. i'm sure it would be fine with butter. aslo, the recipe calls for too much salt. it's okay but nowhere near the best. i just threw out the whole thing because no one liked it! what a shame. sorry for the honesty :(
This recipe is great by itself, but also great as a base. I'm always baking things for my Japanese study group, so I always have to worry about things being to sweet. So I left out 1/2 cup of the flour and added a half cup of Orange marmalade to make an orange cake. It came out beautifully and I just served it with chocolate drizzled on top and garnished with sugar coated min leaves.