Recipe by carnation037
An excellent white cake. Great for a one pan type or cupcakes too. This is a recipe I have had for almost 30 years and until I saw that someone was looking for a whitish cake, had forgotten it. Time to make it again. I have no idea where it came from, I think it is a variation of a recipe my girlfriend gave me back then. Also, if you substitute oil, the cooking time would be longe
Top Review by themcmullens96_7874829
This recipe was okay. I found the cooking times to be off, however I used a round wilton 8" x 3" deep pan, so I figured it would take longer. It was a little on the dry side...a little like pound cake, but not soo dense. I actually much prefer a box cake to this recipe. Maybe I made it wrong, but I bake often, so I was suprised with the poor result.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco (using the Crisco would make it much whiter in color.) or 3⁄4 cup butter (using the Crisco would make it much whiter in color.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour tube pan.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- Cream sugar with Crisco.
- Add vanilla and egg whites.
- Alternately blend in flour mixture, milk, flour mixture, milk until is well mixed.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Then use your favorite frosting.