Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs wide egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups white burgundy
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen pearl onions, defrosted and patted dry on kitchen towels
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 5 celery ribs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, defrosted
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; add in salt and egg noodles; cook according to package directions; drain the noodles well, then transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter, the parsley, and a little salt and pepper; keep warm.
- While the water is coming to a boil, preheat a large nonstick skillet with 2 tablespoons oil over med-high heat.
- Preheat a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper; add half the chicken to the skillet; brown for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the browned chicken to a plate and return the skillet to the heat.
- Add a little more oil and the remaining chicken; brown on both sides.
- Combine all the browned meat and deglaze the pan with 1 cup wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits; remove pan from heat.
- While the first batch of chicken is cooking, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and 3 tablespoons butter to the Dutch oven.
- Once the butter starts to bubble, add the pearl onions and garlic cloves; brown them for 4-5 minutes, until they are nice and brown all over.
- Cut the baby carrots into half lengthwise and cut the celery into 1 ½ to 2 inch pieces.
- Strip the leaves off the thyme sprigs and chop.
- Add the baby carrots, celery, thyme, and bay leaves to the pearl onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the vegetables, stirring them frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle them with the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the remaining cup of wine and the liquid from the chicken skillet.
- Add the chicken stock and bring everything up to a bubble, then add reserved chicken and simmer everything together for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook about 1 minute, until heated through; discard the bay leaves.
- Serve over buttered noodles.