1/4 Photos of White Bread Plus
7 hrs 7 mins
1 hr 7 mins
My first bread recipe (from a 50's version of Joy of Cooking)and still my favorite. The family won't let me in to holiday gatherings without an ample supply (like half a loaf per person!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine yeast, 1/2 C water (105-115 degrees) and 1 t. sugar in bowl and allow to proof. (Until foamy, approximately 5 minutes, or about 10 for standard yeast.).
- 2Add egg, melted (but not hot) lard, salt and remaining sugar and water (105-115 degrees).
- 3Add 4 cups flour and beat (with a spoon or mixer) for one minute. Stir in remaining flour one cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and can be handled.
- 4Turn out on a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and pliable, about 10 minutes .
- 5Shape into a ball and place into a greased mixing bowl.
- 6Turn dough over so greased side is on top, cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- 7(Approx. 1-1 1/2 hours for rapid rise yeast, 2 hours or so for standard yeast.) Punch dough down, turn it over in the bowl, and allow to rise again until almost doubled in size.
- 8Punch down and shape into 3 large loaves, or (I prefer) 4 braided loaves.
- 9(Cut dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each into a long rope and braid them into 4 loaves.) Allow loaves to rise.
- 10Brush with egg wash (1 egg, 1 t. sugar, 1 t. water) or milk, if desired, and sprinkle with Aunt Jane's salt.
- 11Bake in 375°F oven for approximately 17 minutes. (braids) or 30-40 minutes (loaves) until brown on the outside and sounds hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bread Plus
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.8
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 300.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 9.3 g