Prep 5 hrs
Cook 30 mins
- 7 -8 cups flour
- 1 cake yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups water (110-120 degrees)
- disolve yeast in 1/4 cup water (110-120 degrees) add sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and water to large bowl.
- Stir till shortening is softened, add disolved yeast.
- Add flour a little at a time till dough is hard to stir.
- Turn out on floured surface adding flour as needed to make dough smooth and elastic.
- place in greased bowl and let rise until double in size.
- Punch down, form into loaves, let rise again and bake 325 for 30 minutes.
This is a really good recipe that produces a very nice end product. Suggestions: 2 pkgs/cakes yeast bread flour substituted for AP flour Add sugar to dissolved yeast to help it bloom better. Thanks for a great recipe