1/2 Photos of White Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
This makes four loaves of lovely, homemade bread that's great for freezing. I remember this bread fondly as the perfect base for open-faced hot sandwiches. The prep time is approximate, depending on how fast your yeast takes to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put 6 Tablespoons sugar, salt, shortening and 1 cup warm water in a large bowl.
- 2Pour three cups scalded milk into the bowl, stir to dissolve and melt the shortening.
- 3Cool to lukewarm.
- 4Meanwhile, pour 1 1/2 cups warm water into a medium bowl.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon sugar and whisk in yeast.
- 6Let stand until puffed up, before pouring into the lukewarm milk.
- 7Rinse bowl with 1/2 cup warm water, pour into the milk mixture.
- 8Beat in 7 1/2 cups flour (white or wholewheat) until smooth.
- 9Work in between 7 to 7 1/2 cups more white flour.
- 10Knead on the counter for about 10 minutes.
- 11Put in an oiled bowl and let rise until doubled in size, covered with oiled, waxed paper.
- 12When risen, punch down before turning out on the counter.
- 13Cut into four equal pieces.
- 14Shape into loaves, about 9 x 5 inches.
- 15Put into oiled pans and cover with the waxed paper.
- 16Let rise until doubled.
- 17Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, before reducing heat to 325 F for 15 minutes.
- 18Turn pans back to front.
- 19Bake 3-5 minutes more or until bottoms are browned and hollow sounding when gently tapped.
- 20Put back in oven, if only bottom needs more time, without pan.
- 21Bake 1-2 minutes.
- 22Brush margarine on tops.
- 23Put in plastic bags when cold.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (3416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2037.0
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 1267.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 366.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 53.2 g