Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Old fashioned homemade bread.
Make and share this White Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Scald milk and add margarine, sugar, and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour warm water into mixing bowl, add yeast and dissolve thoroughly.
- Add room temperature milk mixture to yeast.
- Add 1 cup of flour and thoroughly mix for a minute.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups of flour. Clean sides of bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the flour and knead for 4-6 minutes until dough becomes a ball.
- Place ball in a greased bowl and roll ball to grease the dough.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, fold sides to center, and turn dough over. Allow to rise to doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch down, fold, and turn. Place dough on flowered board and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough to fit in greased bread pan 9"x5"x3".
- Brush with margarine and cover. Allow to rise in pan until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake loaf in pan for 50 minutes. Bread will sound hollow when tapped with knucles when done.
Yum, great bread! I loved that it makes just one loaf when there are just two of us to cook for. The only thing I question about the recipe is in the ingredient list it says 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 1 Teaspoon of sugar ~ I used the 1 Tablespoon and skipped the extra. I didn't brush the top with the butter until after it came out of the oven (personal choice) and my loaf was done in 35 minutes. Thank you for sharing this great tasting bread I'll definitely make again :) Made for PAC Spring 09