1/1 Photo of White Bread
21 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is for a plain white loaf, its one of my favourites. I had to learn to make bread being a Brit and living in the USA. I don't like the American bread as it is so sweet. Its a very simple recipe. I make it by hand. I have tried and do still own a bread machine, but I found it came out like a cakey texture and the texture to me is important. I usually double or triple this recipe as the dough keeps well in the fridge for about 3 days. If you have company staying with you, it's nice to have for breakfast--the smell of bread baking is wonderful and homey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine milk and water in a microwaveable jar and heat for 1 minute.
- 2Put yeast in a small bowl with the sugar and a little of the warm milk and water mix and allow to prove. It takes about 10 minutes. It should have doubled in volume be frothy.
- 3Put flour in a large mixing bowl add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- 4Add butter and crisco to the flour and rub into the flour.
- 5When the yeast has proved make a well in the middle of the flour and add the yeast and some of the milk and water mixture, stir into the flour, adding a little of the milk and water a little at a time, till a soft dough is formed. It may take more or less of the milk mix depending on the moisture content of your flour.
- 6Put flour on your hands and turn dough out onto a floured surface and Knead for 10 minutes, add extra flour to dough and hands to prevent it from sticking.
- 7When dough is smooth, put into a large bowl that has been sprayed with Pam to prevent it sticking, and cover with Clingfilm and leave to rise, for about 1-1 1/2 hours or till it has doulbed in size. Its is best left in a warm area for this.
- 8After the dough has risen turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, (at this stage the dough can be put into ziplock bags and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, it will continue to rise, so it needs to be a quart sized bag) then shape into desired loaf shape or put into pre greased loaf pan.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 10Cover the dough and leave to rise again for about 15 minutes.
- 11When dough has risen brush with egg wash and sesame seeds and a little kosher salt.
- 12Bake at 400°F for about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.9
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 211.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.1 g