Recipe by mollypaul
Posted from an online source in response to a recipe request. Cooking time is approximate.
- 1 lb Polish sausage
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- boiled potatoes (optional)
- hard-boiled egg (optional)
- prepared horseradish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water in a large pan.
- Add sausage and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low-simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove sausage, reserving cooking liquid, and set sausage aside to cool.
- Add buttermilk to cooking liquid and return to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and egg.
- Gradually whisk in flour and stir until smooth.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the simmering soup base to the milk-egg mixture and stir to combine (this tempers the egg so it doesn't curdle when added to the soup base).
- Slowly drizzle milk-egg mixture into the simmering soup, whisking continuously until all has been added, continue to simmer until soup has thickened.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with reserved Polish sausage.
- May also be served with boiled potatoes, slices of hard boiled egg and a dollop of prepared horseradish.