1/1 Photo of White Beans With Kale and Rice
2 hrs 10 mins
Adopted from Martha Rose Shulman.I got this in a recipe exchange and it was advertised as a stew but when I made it the texture made it almost like a very easy, healthy and substantive risotto! This has a surprising creamy taste without much fat. A great, hearty yet flavorful fall meal. Swiss chard will work as a great substitute for the kale, just make sure to only use the leaves, not the stalks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb kale
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb small dry white bean, washed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh ground pepper (i liked lemon pepper)
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- parmesan cheese
- 1Stack the kale leaves and cut in wide ribbons or chop coarsely. Set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about five minutes. Add half the garlic, and stir together for 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant.
- 3Add the beans, bay leaf, and 2 quarts water. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat and lightly boil for one hour. Add the remaining garlic and salt to taste, and simmer for another 30 minutes to an hour until the beans are tender. At this point, most of the liquid may have boiled away, as the mixture becomes dry, add chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time as it boils away. Continue to do so throughout the rest of the steps/process.
- 4Add the rice and pepper, and simmer 15 minutes until the rice is tender. Stir in the kale leaves, and simmer another five to 10 minutes until the kale is tender but still bright. The mixture should be thick like risotto. Season to taste with salt and a lot of fresh black pepper. Squeeze on the fresh lemon juice , and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Beans With Kale and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.2
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 280.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 14.8 g