1/2 Photos of White Beans & Rice
4 hrs 30 mins
This recipe was passed down from my Cajun grandmother to me. It makes A LOT of food, and freezes well. I love to make this dish because the aroma that fills my house reminds me of back home. This can be made in a large crockpot, but I recommend a large stewpot as it makes a lot of food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash beans & add to stew pot, boil for 30-45 minutes.
- 2Brown ham in 1 tsp of oil until just brown.
- 3Remove ham & add 1 tsp of oil, onion, celery, bell pepper & garlic, cook until soft. (If sticky, just add a LITTLE water.).
- 4Add ham back to skillet and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- 5Add skillet mixture to beans & season with salt, cayenne pepper, & bay leaves. (You can use more or less of any of the seasonings to suit your taste. Taste the liquid to make sure that it agrees to your tastes.).
- 6Cook in stewpot until beans are soft. (4-6 hours).
- 7Remove 1 1/2 cups of beans & mash. Add mashed beans back to mixture.
- 8Serve beans over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Beans & Rice
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.7
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 2305.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 20.6 g