Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 hrs
This recipe for Iranian Pilaki is from "Extending the Table". I haven't made it yet but am submitting it for the Zaar World Tour 3. Cook time includes soaking time for dried beans.
- 1 lb great northern bean, dried (can also use white beans or navy beans)
- 7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 -3 cups tomatoes, chopped (fresh or canned work well)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse and sort dried beans and place in a large soup pot.
- Add water and soak overnight(or use package directions for quick method).
- After soaking (do not drain) add salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1-1 1/2 hours, until nearly tender.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Return to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve with fresh, warm bread.
- NOTE: Leftovers from this dish can be served cold on lettuce leaves for a salad. Garnish with lemon slices and tomato wedges.