Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from "The Classic Cooking of Spain," the recipe name translates: "Alubias Blancas a la Vasca."
- 2 slices bacon, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage (or increase chorizo to 1/2 pound)
- 1 lb dried white bean
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Place white beans in large pot full of cold water. Bring to a boil; drain.
- Cover beans again with cold water and bring to a boil. Add the bacon and sausage and simmer very slowly over low heat for one hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a separate pan and add the onion. Cook 2-3 minutes and then add the garlic. Mix together and remove to a flameproof casserole. Add the white beans drained, the bacon, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup water. Cook very slowly until the beans are done, as long as two hours, depending on the beans.
I guess I used the wrong chorizo because after the hour of cooking there was nothing left to take out to fry. I sauteed the onion and garlic and added it to the bean pot with all the liquid and let it cook until the beans were done. It took a lot longer than the 10-20 minutes stated (more like 2 hours). I'm still going to give it 5 stars because the flavor is out of this world. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 8- Spain/Portugal.