Recipe by Pate
This is a wonderful Ukrainian recipe I got from my MIL. A great side dish with pork or chicken.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried white beans (pea beans preferred)
- 2 medium white onions, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans in cold water.
- Let sit for two hours; drain and add fresh water to cover.
- Bring beans to a boil, add a pinch of salt, reduce heat to medium and boil until a little less than tender.
- In a large frying pan, melt better and add coarsley chopped onion.
- Fry on medium heat until tender.
- Add one can of chicken stock to onions.
- Keep on low until beans are cooked. (They should not be hard in texture when tasted but rather on the soft side).
- Drain beans and add to onion mixture.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Bring to a boil and cook on low heat until stock is slightly reduced.
- Add more chicken stock, if required.