Recipe by MC Baker
I found this recipe in a blog and modified it a bit. I've modified it to include the beans as suggested. I've also replaced olive oil with butter as it's easier to switch to vegan and the olive oil is just as good as butter, but lighter. If you don't have greek yogurt you can use plain yogurt that has been drained in cheesecloth for at least a few yours.
Top Review by jenniferlouise
we have made this recipe at least twice that I can recall and both times it turned out great. we typically use egg noodles to serve it on and also have made it dairy free by using vegan butter and coconut milk yogurt -- its delicious! depending on the size of my lemon, I sometimes use less lemon, if you just taste it as you go it is not hard. I really like the balance of beans, asparagus, and mushrooms this recipe has compared to most veggie stroganoff recipes I've seen and tried.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini or 2 (16 ounce) cans white kidney beans, drained
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, ends snapped off and cut into 2-inch pieces
White mushroom yogurt sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cups brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt, greek
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon, Better than Bouillon paste is best
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, trimmed and minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil (or use 2 tbsp butter) and sweat shallots and mushrooms for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add beans, wine, lemon juice, mustard, 1 cup reserved water and vegetable bouillon or vegetable stock and cook until reduced by half.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute, remove and then dunk in ice water.
- Boil pasta until al dente in the rapidly boiling water used for asaparagus, drain.
- Combine yogurt, beans and asparagus with rest of sauce and heat for a few minutes. Serve sauce on top of pasta.