Recipe by Engrossed
This is a nice, healthy, pleasantly spicy and warming stew like soup. This can also be done in a crock pot but will take all day. The cooking time does not reflect the overnight soaking of the beans. This recipe can also be made with spinach but I don't think it would be as good.
- 8 ounces great northern beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (red & white)
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb red swiss chard, ribs and leaves coarsely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water. Let them soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans, reserving 2 cups of liquid.
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and saute for an additional 3 minutes. Add the chard and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, reserved bean liquid, beans, garlic and bay leaf. Partially cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Puree half of the soup in a blender. Return to pot with remaining soup. Add salt, pepper and parsley.