1/2 Photos of White Bean Soup with Salad Salsa
4 hrs 55 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Just Call Me Martha's Note:
I got this recipe from a friend. I believe it originally came from a cookbook called HeartSmart. It is very good and good for you. For a quick meal, substitute canned beans. I have also substituted chicken stock for the vegetable stock with no problems. The salsa is best in the summer when there are "real" tomatoes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups dried white kidney beans or 1 1/2 cups navy beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup small pasta or 1/2 cup rice or 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1Cover beans with water and soak for 3 hours or overnight in fridge.
- 2Rinse and drain well.
- 3Heat oil in large pot.
- 4Add garlic, onions and hot pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes without browning.
- 5Add beans and stock.
- 6Bring to boil.
- 7Lower heat and simmer gently, covered for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 8Add potato and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- 9Puree soup in blender or food processor in small batches.
- 10Return to saucepan and thin with additional stock or water until soup reaches desired consistency.
- 11Add pasta or rice and cook for 10 min.
- 12Add salt& pepper.
- 13Pasta or rice with thicken soup slightly, so thin soup again if you wish.
- 14Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- 15Combine all salsa ingredients.
- 16Serve soup in flat bowls with large spoonful of salsa in centre.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean Soup with Salad Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.3
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 149.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: