Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty Italian-type soup. It's great served with a grilled cheese or Portabello sandwich and sliced fresh fruit. I got the recipe at a cooking class I took in San Diego at Great News Cooking School. Recipe author: Chef Phillis Carey. Note: The beans and tomatoes are canned. The spinach is bagged and is found in the produce department.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb turkey or 1 lb pork Italian sausage, castings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 celery, with leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 15 ounces cannellini beans or 15 ounces other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages (remove the castings) and saute until beginning to brown, breaking into small pieces, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, basil,rosemary, red pepper and sage. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice and beans. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving bring to a simmer and stir in the spinach to wilt.
- Ladle hot soup into pre-heated bowls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.