GREG IN SAN DIEGO's Note:
This is a tasty Italian-type soup. It's great served with a grilled cheese or Portabello sandwich and sliced fresh fruit. I got the recipe at a cooking class I took in San Diego at Great News Cooking School. Recipe author: Chef Phillis Carey. Note: The beans and tomatoes are canned. The spinach is bagged and is found in the produce department.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb turkey or 1 lb pork Italian sausage, castings removed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 celery, with leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 1/2 ounces petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 15 ounces cannellini beans or 15 ounces other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Add sausages (remove the castings) and saute until beginning to brown, breaking into small pieces, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, basil,rosemary, red pepper and sage. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add broth, tomatoes with juice and beans. Bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- 6Just before serving bring to a simmer and stir in the spinach to wilt.
- 7Ladle hot soup into pre-heated bowls.
- 8Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean Soup With Italian Sausage and Fresh Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 444.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 47.8 g