- 1 lb smoked ham hock, about
- 3 cups dried small white beans, rinsed and picked over
- 12 cups chicken stock or 12 cups beef stock or 12 cups vegetable stock or 12 cups water
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put smoked ham hock, beans, and liquid together in large saucepan.
- Turn heat on to medium high.
- Add onions.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cover with tilted lid to only cover partially.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until beans are very soft and meat is falling apart at least one hour.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove meat and chop it up if desired and return to pot.
- Serve with cornbread.