Simple, cheap, hearty and delicious. From Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." I love cause there's no need to presoak the beans.
- Put smoked ham hock, beans, and liquid together in large saucepan.
- Turn heat on to medium high.
- Add onions.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cover with tilted lid to only cover partially.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until beans are very soft and meat is falling apart at least one hour.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove meat and chop it up if desired and return to pot.
- Serve with cornbread.