Recipe by ~Nimz~
It's cold and windy today and I wanted something to warm us up. My friend PaulaG sent me some Green Chile Powder so I wanted to use it. This soup has got a lot of heat to it so stay away from it if you don't like hot spices. We do and it was just what I was looking for.
Top Review by Lainey39
This is a very tasty soup that my DH and I enjoyed today for lunch. I made it last night and warmed it up this afternoon. I think the flavor is wonderful. I haven't made many bean soups before, but I will now! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon southwest dried chipotle powder (Mrs. Dash)
- 2 teaspoons green chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup mozzarella-parmesan cheese blend (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a stew pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and jalapeno peppers and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onions and pepper are tender.
- Add garlic and chipotle pepper the last couple of minutes and cook.
- Add chicken broth, water, milk, chicken, mashed beans, whole beans, seasoning mix and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- If using the cheese add to soup just before serving.
- *If you want your soup thicker, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add to soup and cook another 5 minutes.