Top Review by I'mPat
OMG wish I could rate this higher than 5 stars for the flavours alone that came from the smoked hock, I used a four bean mix and as I only had 1 cup of celery I added a 1 cup or finely diced carrot and I did have to add some extra water after the first 2 hour simmer for when I added the vegies I would have ended up with a stew rather than a soup but it was so filling for lunch (the next day on reheat and the rest - 7 cups of soup was put in the freezer) a meal with a crusty roll and pure comfort food.on a cold winters day. thank you JustJanS, made for Make My Recipe.
- 1 lb navy beans, Dry
- 3 quarts water
- 1 ham bone, Smoked or 1 hock (Smoked)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, Chopped
- 1 cup onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 clove garlic, Minced
- 2 cups celery & tops, Finely Chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans with water in large pot or soup kettle and soak overnight.
- Rinse beans well and return to pot with ham bone and 3 quarts of water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Add parsley, onions, garlic, celery and tops, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham bone, dice the meat, and add meat to soup.
- Serve hot.