Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a simple soup that I adapted from a few recipes. I make the ham broth by covering a leftover ham bone with 12 cups of water and simmering it for a few hours. I chill it overnight and remove the fat. Feel free to add some of the leftover ham to the soup. I add the salt after the soup is done because the ham broth might be salty enough. Great with some nice crusty bread.
- Saute the onion, celery and carrots in a small amount of oil for 5 to 10 minutes in a large soup pot.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the soaked, drained beans, ham broth, bay leaf and the pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover pot.
- Simmer gently for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add salt to taste.