Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is a quick and easy recipe for any meal and very delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced,with juice
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained,reserve liquid (such as navy or great northern)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock (or liquid from beans)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb spaghetti (or favorite pasta)
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente, while making sauce.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan, and add pepper flakes, cook 1 minute.
- Add onion, red pepper, celery, and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Increase heat and stir in tomato, beans, and black pepper.
- Add bean liquid or stock and parsley, heat until thickened.
- Take half of the bean mixture and blend well in food processor.
- Return to pan, and heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pasta to large bowl and pour sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Serve with garlic bread and tossed salad.
I used this recipe as a basis for a pasta sauce. I did lots of substitutions so I'm not rating this. However it was a very good starting point for a yummy sauce. I used dried chile flakes,a brown onion, no capsicum, chick peas insead of white beans and basil. I didn't blend half of the sauce but used a little cornflour to thicken things instead. All these things work.