Recipe by Annacia
This is an excellent bean salad. Nice as a first course for dinner or as lunch plate. Times do not include soak or stand time.
Top Review by SloppyJoe
I also used canned beans and found this recipe to be super easy to put together and so bright and flavorful! The leftovers were whizzed in the food processor with a little sour cream and made a delicious dip for veggies and whole wheat chips. Will definitely do this one again and again! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let beans soak overnight.
- Drain beans. Place in heavy large saucepan. Add bay leaves and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and continue to simmer until beans are tender but still hold shape, about 15 minutes longer.
- Drain beans and place in large bowl; discard bay leaves. Add onion and parsley. Whisk oil, lemon juice, cumin, and cayenne in medium bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Pour over bean salad; toss gently to combine. Do ahead Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on individual plates or on large platter. Spoon bean salad into lettuce and serve.