1/1 Photo of White Bean, Sage and Roasted Garlic Spread
11 hrs 20 mins
mary winecoff's Note:
Great dip for celery or to spread on croutons and garnish with a sage leaf. From the book "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the beans in a large pot with water to cover by 2 inches for 10 minutes.
- 2Lower the heat and add the 5 garlic cloves, sage leaves, bay leaves, and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 3Simmer, covered until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove bay leaves and drain, reserving the broth.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F
- 6Rub the head of garlic with a little of the remaining olive oil and put it in a small baking dish and add 1/3 cup water.
- 7Cover and bake until soft and lightly caramelized, about 45 minutes.
- 8Cool, then squeeze out the softened garlic.
- 9Puree the beans in a food processor with all the garlic, the remaining olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and enough bean broth to give the beans a soft, spreadable consistency.
- 10Season to taste with lemon juice and pepper and taste again for salt.
- 11Stir in thyme leaves and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean, Sage and Roasted Garlic Spread
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.6
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 330.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: