Recipe by MsPia
Adapted from Cooking Light. I would add cilantro.
Top Review by KLBoyle
I'm not sure exactly what to think of this soup; the flavor was nice and I especially liked the lime, but it definitely needed salt. However, the onion and pepper to beans ratio was really out of proportion. There was so much onion and pepper that it really took over the soup and the beans were just kind of there. I also cooked the onions and peppers way longer than was called for and they were still too firm for my tastes. I will probably try this soup again but would cut the amount of onions and peppers in half. Thanks for offering this recipe! Made for PRMR.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups white onions, chopped
- 2 cups poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a Dutch oven coated with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile, red bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the beans, juice, and cumin. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 5 bowls, and top each serving with about 3 tablespoons cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream.