Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Jill Dupleix recipe from Delicious magazine. I love this because I usually have the storecupboard ingredients on hand, so it's perfect for when I've suddenly got some yummy fresh spinach to cook.
- 410 g cannellini beans
- 40 g finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 40 g sliced italian salami, rind discarded, diced
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs, plus extra
- dried breadcrumbs, to coat
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 500 g spinach, washed, stalks removed
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Drain beans, place in a bowl with parmesan, parsley, nutmeg and seasoning. Rougly mash with fork, keeping mixture slightly course.
- Beat in salami and egg with wooden spoon. Add breadcrumbs one Tbsp at a time until firm enough to shape into 8 balls. Gently flatten each ball into a patty and lightly coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry patties 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Reserve and keep warm.
- Pack spinach into a large saucepan, adding just enough water to cling to the leaves. Cover and steam over a medium high heat 3 minutes until wilted, stiring occasionally. Drain and season.
- Serve polpettine with spinach and lemon wedges for a light supper or lunch.