Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Naturally low in fat. Will keep in fridge for up to three days. Serve with crisp vegetables.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
We really enjoyed this recipe. I only had red wine vinegar on hand so I used that. When I tried it right after making it, I thought it may have called for too much vinegar, but after sitting in the fridge all day, it was perfect. This is an easy dish to put together and has lots of flavour. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, drained and rinsed (white kidney beans)
- salt and pepper
- vegetables, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wide frying pan, combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the broth.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until liquid evaporates and onion begins to brown.
- To deglaze, add vinegar to pan and stir to loosen the browned bits.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to brown again.
- Repeat 1 or 2 more times using 2 more tablespoons broth each time; vegetables should be deeply browned.
- Add beans to onion mixture and mash coarsely with a spoon.
- If necessary, add a little more broth to give the beans a mashed potato consistency.
- Season with S&P to taste.
- Serve Pâté warm or cool with vegetables dippers.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.