Recipe by mermaidmagic
Another bean recipe that I copied from an old colleague. I haven't made this in years, so cook and prep times are an estimate. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do.
- 1 lb pancetta, diced
- 3 cups white beans, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, warm
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute pancetta over medium heat, stirring frequently until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Place mashed beans in saucepan over high heat.
- Quickly move beans around pan for about 2 minutes or until beans begin to dry.
- Do not allow beans to brown.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine cooled beans with egg, approximately 3/4 cup flour, and salt to make a light dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean, cool work surface.
- Roll a handful of dough out on the floured surface to make a long, finger size roll.
- Cut into one inch pieces.
- Repeat until dough has all been rolled and cut.
- Boil gnocchi in salted water until they rise to the surface.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- When all gnocchi are cooked, toss with pancetta, Parmesan cheese and warm cream.
- Serve hot with additional grated cheese.