Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Delicious recipe I adapted from: The Fat Free Vegan website. Please do not fear the number of garlic cloves in the recipe. They are kept whole and simmered for an hour in the broth, which mellows their flavor out perfectly. Almost like roasted garlic! This stew is nice served with crusty whole wheat bread, or over warm brown rice.
Top Review by zaar junkie
I didn't drain the cans of beans and that turned out okay, just more soup like than stew like. Tasty and easy to put together. I added some garlic powder, cayenne, and cumin and cooked it all day in the crockpot. Thanks for posting. It was a nice, quick, hearty meal.
- 2 (850.48 g) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 head garlic (15-20 cloves)
- 29.58 ml water
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock or 236.59 ml broth
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Break the garlic bulb into cloves and peel off the skin, leaving cloves whole.
- If some of the cloves are very large, you may cut them in half lengthwise.
- Spray a large, non-stick pan lightly with olive oil.
- Add the onion and sauté until it turns a rich, medium-brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots ans celery and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, bay leaves, and vegetable broth.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about an hour, adding water if it gets too thick.
- Stir in the salt and pepper.
- If you're serving the stew right away, add all the parsley and the lemon juice.
- If you're serving it later or at room temperature, add the parsley and lemon juice right before serving.