1/2 Photos of White Bean & Garlic Stew
1 hr 10 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Delicious recipe I adapted from: The Fat Free Vegan website. Please do not fear the number of garlic cloves in the recipe. They are kept whole and simmered for an hour in the broth, which mellows their flavor out perfectly. Almost like roasted garlic! This stew is nice served with crusty whole wheat bread, or over warm brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (850.48 g) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 head garlic (15-20 cloves)
- 29.58 ml water
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock or 236.59 ml broth
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 1Break the garlic bulb into cloves and peel off the skin, leaving cloves whole.
- 2If some of the cloves are very large, you may cut them in half lengthwise.
- 3Spray a large, non-stick pan lightly with olive oil.
- 4Add the onion and sauté until it turns a rich, medium-brown, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, carrots ans celery and sauté for 1 more minute.
- 6Add the beans, tomatoes, bay leaves, and vegetable broth.
- 7Cover the pot and simmer for about an hour, adding water if it gets too thick.
- 8Stir in the salt and pepper.
- 9If you're serving the stew right away, add all the parsley and the lemon juice.
- 10If you're serving it later or at room temperature, add the parsley and lemon juice right before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean & Garlic Stew
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 582.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: