Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
A tasty starter that is an ideal treat when having friends around. Leftover dip (if any) can be used on sandwiches, or with grilled lamb, pork or beef sausages. From Recipes+, May 09
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, extra light
- 400 g cannellini beans, rinsed
- 100 g feta, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lebanese bread
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place basil in a large heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over and cover. Stand 30 seconds; drain. Refresh under cold water. Process basil, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup extra light olive oil until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap.
- Process beans with the feta, remaining extra virgin olive oil, garlic and juice until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 160 degrees fan forced. Cut bread into triangles. Place on baking trays. Brush with remaining extra light olive oil; sprinkle bread with combined seeds and cumin. Bake for for 3 - 4 minutes or until crisp.
- Drizzle dip with 1/3 cup basil oil then serve with bread.
This is one of the best dips I have ever made and tasted.............absolutely DELICIOUS! I made the dip as posted, but instead of serving with the Lebanese bread, I used some slices of my Farmhouse White Multi-Grain Cheese Bread - Bread Machine which I toasted, only because I had a whole loaf available! To get the fennel and cumin into the flavours, I added the cumin and fennel seeds to the basil oil........and it worked perfectly! I am planning to make this again for friends this weekend, this batch was made for the Oscars NIght as nibbles, and it hit the spot. Made for the Aus/NZ recipe swap and a 10 star recipe thanks KK! FT:-)