Recipe by magpie diner
I hosted a party for 60+ people recently and made this dip to go with veggies, pita chips, crackers and so on. This is from Moosewood's 'Cooks for a Crowd' book. It's similar to hummus in texture, but lighter and without the tahini flavour. It was simple enough to prepare and I made it a few days in advance. The recipe says it makes enough for 24 - OH MY, 120 more like it! :) How much you would go through would greatly depend on how many other dips and appie type things you have. After our party we still had half of the dip leftover. And that's not because it wasn't popular, it just makes a lot!! It's actually very tasty, easy on the pocket book and I love that you can prepare it in advance. Next time I may cut the recipe in 1/2. Note, prep time does not include soaking the dry beans overnight.
Top Review by Lalaloula
I really enjoyed this dip! I reved it alongside roasted pumpkin and millet. Yummy! Since I was only cooking for three I scaled this down quite a bit. And as I unfortunately was out of white beans I used chickpeas instead. That worked well. I needed to adjust the spices a bit but I guess thats just personal preference.
THANKS A LOT for sharing this recipe with us, magpie!
Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #51 October 2012.
- 2 lbs dry white beans (ie navy beans)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup olive (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Next day, drain and rinse them. Cook them for about 45 minutes in plenty of boiling water. (Do not salt your water -- makes beans tough). Take care not to overcook the beans, they should be cooked but not mushy. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- In a food processor (or a blender), puree the beans about 3-4 cups at a time, emptying each batch into a large mixing bowl as you go.
- Stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices.
- Garnish with capers and/or olives if you like.