Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely, filling soup with sweet and spicy flavors from the sweet corn and spices. I found this in a Dairy Favorites card at the grocery and made a few tweaks for our preferences. You can also sub white cannellini beans for the great northern - I just find it easier to locate the great northerns in my area.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until onion is softened.
- Add one can of beans and mash roughly.
- Stir in remaining can of beans, green chilies, corn, carrots, celery, and broth.
- Bring soup to a simmer and stir in the cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Combine milk and cornstarch, stirring well.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup, bringing it gradually to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Stir in 3/4 c of the cheese, reserving the remainder for use as garnish, and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with cheese and cilantro.
- Note: I usually serve with some hot sauce on the table for those who like to add some heat.
This soup was adapted for the slow cooker as follows: cooked the dry beans in the morning. Sauteed onion, garlic and celery in a small amount of olive oil. Added all ingredients except for can of green chilies to the pot and cooked on LOW 4 1/2 hours. Milk was added the last ten minutes of cooking and heated through. Fresh chilies were sliced up and served on the side along with Cornbread. Reviewed for Veg Swap #19.
Very good soup. Made it as is. A couple a little tweaks, extra garlic. My preference, I used chicken broth vs veggie, but you mentioned either. I used white cheddar again because I had it on hand, but no difference in taste and I used 1/2 cream, and 1/2 milk because the milk I had was 2%. It worked out fine. And the carrot, I just fine diced, but again no change in flavor. I used cannellini vs great northern, but either or, basic same flavor and texture; besides that way I didn't have to go to the store. I loved it, very hearty, great flavors that all blended very nicely. Loved the cumin, spice and the cilantro to finish it off.
I did do mine stove top as I was in a hurry, but sauteed the veggies, added the broth beans, seasoning and just simmered. Very very easy to put together.
I will definitely be making this again. I love to have an all veggie soup sometimes for a change. It was excellent!!
Great taste and easy to make. If you don't have a lot of time, get Mirepoix (a mix of chopped carrots, onions, and celery) either in the produce or frozen vegetables section. Then you only need to throw everything together, a matter of minutes.
And I just realized another advantage...this recipe can be low-sodium. There is some salt in the beans and cheese but when you rinse the beans that removes some of the salt. Just use low-sodium broth and you're on your way!