Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
When I became a vegetarian, one of the things I missed most was chicken enchiladas with salsa verde. I came up with this chili in my quest for a good substitute for those flavors. I especially like it with Mexican cornbread. Prep time does not include soaking time.
- 1 lb dried white bean
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 8 ounces green chili salsa
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans overnight. Pour off soaking water and cover beans with fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven, saute onions till translucent.
- Add cumin, chili powder, poultry seasoning, green chiles, and salsa verde. Saute for 5 minutes, adding a little broth if it begins to stick.
- Add the remaining broth, bay leaves, and 3/4 cup of cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer while beans continue to cook. When beans are just tender (1-2 hours), add them and the zucchini to the soup pot. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each bowl with chopped green onions and sour cream, if desired.