Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this with crusty french bread sticks and a salad.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 -3 jalapenos, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat combine the oil, onions and celery.
- Cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Push onions and celery to the sides, turn the heat up to medium high and add the chicken.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.
Excellent. Like all the other reviewers, I made my own variations: more chili powder and cumin because I didn't have jalapenos; red pepper flakes instead of cayenne. Used cooked leftover chicken, added a bag of fresh spinach at the end, and a jar of garden vegetable tomato sauce. Is it still the same recipe? Well, cousins! It was good.
Even though I did not have celery and used a roasted chicken this is still a good recipe. I put my stick blender and pulsed it twice before serving to make it creamy. We all enjoyed this dinner. Served with cornbread and kale chips. Yum. Thank you
Just a really good receipe. I made changes of my own changing the chile powder to 2 tbsps chipolte chili powder and 1 tsbs of mexican chili powder, 1 tsp mexican oregano, 2 cans of diced green chilies instead of the jalapenos. Finished with finely ground masa harina mixed with water to thicken. Served with chilie corn bread. Everyone thought it was wonderful.