Recipe by Dr. Jenny
This recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens and DH and I liked it very much. The burgers had great flavor and consistency. DH said so far, this has been the best meatless burger recipe we have made to date. Instead of using the country Italian bread, we just used hamburger buns. We chopped the parsley. We did not top with the Easy Tomato Sauce.
Top Review by ElizabethKnicely
These were good. They were slightly dry, next time I will use less bread crumbs and more carrots. I made the tomato sauce that came with this recipe and that was delicious. The only big change I made was to add a slice of mozzarella after flipping the burgers over during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Thanks for posting this great healthy burger recipe Dr. Jenny. Made for Photo Tag Spring 2013. P.S. Sorry that the photo was bad, I couldn't get a good picture no matter what setting I had this on. : (
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can cannellini, bean rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices country Italian bread, toasted (or use hamburger buns)
- 1 cup packed fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup easy tomato sauce
Easy Tomato Sauce
- 1 ounce diced tomato, undrained
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork or potato masher. Stir in half the bread crumbs, the carrot, onion, egg, half of the parsley, 1 Tb olive oil, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Combine remaining breadcrumbs and parsley in a shallow dish.
- Shape bean mixture into 4 patties (mixture will be soft). Dip both sides of patties into bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Heat remaining 2 Tb oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties. Cook for 4 minutes per side or until well browned.
- Arrange spinach and patties on bread slices or buns. Top with Easy Tomato Sauce.
- Easy Tomato Sauce:.
- Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process to desired consistency. Pour into a bowl and stir in snipped fresh basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.